When you are driving in the UK, it becomes very essential to know all the code which is applied. The highway code is applicable in England, Wales, and Scotland. The codes apply to the pedestrians as well as drivers. It is mandatory that all road users should follow the highway codes. When you are driving, you need to follow certain rules which make your life safe as well as others. If you are disobeying or breaking any rules, always remember that you are committing a criminal offense, and you will end up paying penalties or will be disqualified from driving. You should always obey the highway code when you are road user in the UK. To understand the procedures and requirements, you must call DVLA or get in touch with them to know the accurate information.
Rules For Pedestrians:
- If there is any pavement, then you should always use the pavement. If there is no pavement, then you need to walk on the right side of the road, and if the road is dark, you need to carry light or something which will make yourself visible. You should always cross your road when there is a green signal. You should always check the road and cross. You should always use Zebra crossing when you want to cross the road.
- If there is any emergency vehicle such as ambulance, police, fire engine or any other emergency vehicle, then they must use headlights or sirens. You should always get on or off the bus when it is stopped.
- For powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters must follow both on pavements and on the road rule
- Rules about animals include Horse Dawn vehicles, Horse riders and also other animals. Before you are riding any horse, you need to ensure that you can manage it well. You should not take your horse on pavement or footpath or cycle track. For other animals like dogs, you should not let your dog out on the road. You can use a seat belt or cage just to avoid distractions while driving.
- For cyclists, it is mandatory to use a cycle helmet, and also need to wear light clothing. You should avoid wearing any clothes or accessories which may get tangled in cycle chain. If you are riding at night, you must carry a light so that you are visible to others. You should always ride your cycle from cycle tracks.
- For motorcyclists, it’s good to have a well-conditioned motorcycle. Also, you should have a valid license. Rather than depending on other people you should call authorities in case if you have any question regarding driving license and eligibility.
- You should not drink and drive, and you should use a seat belt for yourself and others in the car.
- You should always carry proper documents, such as driving license, car insurance if you are a learner, then you must carry your learner’s license.
- You should always follow the general rules which are applicable for all drivers and riders. These rules include signals, stopping procedures, lighting requirements, speed limits and lane marking on the road.